The Beacon Newsletter April-June 2017
· April 27 (Thursday): Broward Council of the Blind “TOPS meeting” 1pm-2:30pm in the dining room. Any questions contact Dolor Ginchereau, President at 954-616-7473.
· April 29 (Saturday): BFF Annual Picnic 11am-4pm at T.Y. Park (Pavilion 6). Address: 3300 N Park Rd, Hollywood, FL 33021. Park entry is $1.50 per person. Contact Sharon Meikle at 954-842-8828 for additional information.
· May 9 (Tuesday): The Alumni Association will be having a 50/50 Raffle 10am-1pm in the Lobby. Raffle tickets prices are $1 for 1 ticket; $5 for 6 tickets; $10 for 12 tickets. The winning ticket will be announced at 1 pm.
· May 12 (Friday): Special Lifetime Learners: Tour the Insight for the Blind 10am-12pm with Dolores. There are a limited number of spots available (10). Contact Dolores at 954-684-6708 to sign up for the tour.
· May 16 (Tuesday): The BFF group will meet at Sawgrass Mills Lanes to Bowl 12pm-3pm. Address: 8501 N University Dr, Tamarac, FL. Contact Sharon for more details at 954-842-8828.
· May 29 (Monday): Memorial Day: Lighthouse of Broward is closed.
· June 20 (Tuesday): The BFF group will have a beach day at Deerfield Beach 11am-4pm. The drop off location is at JB Restaurant located at 300 NE 21st Ave Deerfield Beach, FL 33441. Please bring a bag lunch. Contact Sharon at 954-842-8828 for more information.
· June 26-July 28 (Monday-Friday): KIDS Summer Camp.
REGULAR MEETINGS & ACTIVTIES AT THE LIGHTHOUSE:
APRIL, MAY & JUNE
· Blinded Veterans Association 10:00 am -11:30 am in the board room Tuesday: April 11th, May 9th & June 13th. All Veterans are invited to attend, contact Scott Siegel at 954-326-1706 for more information.
· BFF Social Group meeting 1:00pm-2:30 pm in the dining room Tuesday: April 4th, 11th, 18th & 25th. May 2nd, 9th, 23rd & 30th & June 6th & 13th.
· Broward Council of the Blind meeting 3:00pm-5:00 pm in Room 20 Tuesday: April 11th, May 9th & June 13th The BCB President Dolor Ginchereau can be contacted at 954-473-0185 (home) or 954-616-7473 (cell).
· Baking with Joel 10am-12pm in the Training Kitchen Wednesday: April 5th & 19th, May 3rd & 17th & June 7th & 21st. There are a limited number of spots available (5 each class). Please call Joel at 954-805-0146 to RSVP.
· Trivia Club 10am-12pm in the Boardroom: Friday, April 7th, May 5th & June 2nd.
· Alumni Association Meeting 10am-12pm in the boardroom Friday: April 21st & June 16th.
· Arts & Crafts Club 12:30pm-2pm in the dining room Friday: April 7th & 21st, May 5th & June 2nd & 16th.
· Book Club 10am-12pm in the conference room. Friday, April 28th our book selection is At the Water's Edge by Sara Gruen. Friday, May 26 our selection is After You by JoJo Moyes. Please contact Ellen Meyers at 954-922-7360 for more information. June meeting is cancelled, the club will resume in July.
· Saturday Interfaith Group 10:30am-2:30pm. In the dining room Saturday, May 20 Topic to be announced; June 17 Topic to be announced. Contact Dolores at 954-684-6708 to RSVP. April meeting is cancelled.
· We are happy to announce that Dolores Hanley McDiarmid’s book is available on Amazon.com in Print and Kindle. It is called “Moved by the Spirit: A Call to Work with People Living with Blindness and Visual Impairments”. Check out the reviews on Amazon.com; you can also purchase the book from Dolores by calling 954-684-6708.
· Blind and Beyond Radio Program- Not doing anything on Sunday Evening? This station is for people who are blind, visually impaired and sighted. Showtime: Every Sunday Night 7pm-9pm; Stream Show Live: At WOKBRADIO.COM or Tune-in listen only: Call 518-712-0057
· Debbie from the veterinary ophthalmology group Animal Eye Guys is looking for guide dogs to be screened at an ACVO event scheduled for May 7th. This is a free screening but you must sign up for the screening in April. Debbie’s contact number is 954-842-8828.
· If you would like to have a special meeting or event in the Lighthouse building, please contact Tranique Merritt at 954-463-4217 ext. 115.